If you or a family member has been accused of any type of sex crime these are things that should be on your immediate checklist:
- Social Media. Find the accuser's public Facebook and/or MySpace profile, and download or print all the information that is available. Remember, under recent laws, you can NOT create an alias to gain access to private profiles.
- Investigations. It is never too early to start. Information is power. With your lawyer, quickly develop and implement an investigation plan.
- Keep Quiet. Do NOT talk to the police, the accuser, a therapist, from jail, or for that matter, to anyone but your lawyer.
- Maintain evidence. Emails, letters, texts, voice mails, etc. etc. Some of these can be automatically deleted. Make sure they are preserved.
- Hire a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, contact your local public defender's office. Some PD offices will talk to you before charges are filed. Others will not. If you can afford one, do it IMMEDIATELY.